How We Came To Be
St. Stephen’s, although not officially taking this name until 1944, was born as a small Sunday School in 1931, meeting in the Orange Hall on Rosemount Avenue. Over several years the Sunday School grew and in the late 1930’s the community was canvassed to determine interest and support for the founding of a new Presbyterian church. This put into motion steps that culminated with the first worship service of St. Stephen’s being held on October 22, 1944 at the YMCA on Gladstone Avenue.
As the congregation grew and strengthened the decision to build a church home was taken. In spite of shortages of building supplies following WWII, which in part led to some necessary compromises in materials and specifications of the original architectural plans, the sod turning for the present building took plane on August 6, 1946 and the cornerstone was laid on May 6, 1947 by the Rt. Hon. W.L. Mackenzie King, Prime Minister. Although several items were still to be installed and added, the congregation moved into the building in the fall of 1948 and the official dedication of the building was held on October 17, 1948.
Through the varied ministries that followed, St. Stephen’s has continued to serve this community. We are now in the process of redefining our mission and look forward to the challenges ahead.